Friday, January 13, 2012

Duster Hates Golden Retrievers: Or, Rescues Sometimes Have Quirks

Here at BDR, we advocate for hard to place dogs all the time. In our daily life, we live our mission - our mascot and the inspiration for BDR, Duster, is a huge black GSD/Akita mix we saved from Devore minutes before he was to be put to sleep.

In the year that we've had Duster, we've learned a lot. A LOT! The first 4 years old Duster's life will always be a mystery; we have no idea what his life was like before we stepped up for him. Like a lot of rescues, he has quirks. Examples? We've got lots! Here's one: Duster absolutely HATES Golden Retrievers. He can spot one a mile away; up go the hackles, out come the growls.

It's particularly embarrassing because Goldens have a reputation as lovable, sweet family dogs. Everyone loves a lappy, happy Golden Retriever. Well, everyone except Duster!

It's challenging to try to get Duster to work through his loathing for the hapless Goldens. We certainly aren't going to ask for volunteers to subject their beloved pets to Duster's dislike in the hope that eventually he will let go of the issue. So, we pick our battles and cross the street when we see a Golden Retriever headed our way.

In the great scheme of things, it's really not such a hardship. In fact, it's hardly a hardship at all. Part of bringing a dog like Duster into our life was accepting that he comes with a history we can't know. What we DO know is that Duster and dogs like him need lots of love, patience, and security. Rescues sometimes have quirks - just like the rest of us!

3 comments:

  1. My rescue hated hats. I had to cross the road when someone was wearing a hat!I know quirks well too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought only my Bloodhound mix was prejudiced regarding other dogs. She does not like long haired dogs (is she jealous of their pretty coats?) and she does not like Great Danes at all. She readily accepts JR's, Beagles, and Boxers. Go figure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dog Stetson is a big, black, beefy, 80lbs, 2yr old Lab-Rottie-Pitt-Mastiff-mix who was rescued off of death row from the high kill Brooks facility in San Antonio, Texas and flown to San Diego, CA. Seriously, this "man dog" never should have made it out of there! Most like him don't... Stetson gets along with most dogs, but he HATES Australian Shepherds. Like with Duster, if I see one coming, we cross the street, which usually isn't enough to prevent a bark-fest. He has many other "quirks" as well. I get it!!! Of course, I love him, quirks and all! I've just learned to adjust my life to him vs. trying to force him to adjust to me. Overall, things are going well (with the help of a lot of training of course!). I know that this pup came into my life for a reason! I encourage others to adopt big black rescue pups!

    ReplyDelete